Friday, July 5, 2013

A Change in Style | What is style?

June has been one crazy month! And a fast one too. I took a break from spending lots of time on social media places except for maybe Instagram, and have been focusing on my health and my body. I have started Beachbody's Insanity program multiple times and stopped around the third week. But i wanted this time to be different. I want to make it through the 2 months. So I have been really working on doing that program and am happy to say I only have about two more weeks left to complete it! Now I haven't bulked up nor have I become a skinny minny. But I have been able to tone my legs and my stomach area. I also started Hip Hop Abs (kind of dorky but fun) and that has helped me to slim my waist a bit. But I am still on quite a journey to accomplish my fitness goals. However with this new found confidence in my body and strength, I have been able to get out of my clothing rut.

I have wanted to post about this for a while but never really knew what to say. The truth is, I got bored with my style. And it made me think about what my "style" is and what it actually means to have a certain "style." Too deep? Yeah I think so too ha! But in all honesty, why do I follow specific bloggers? Because I like their style and their confidence in their style no matter what. I have always liked Tom boyish, more edgy looks but lacked the confidence to pull it off. Interestingly enough, it's not the specific style of clothing you wear or the type of clothing that personifies a specific genre or style, it's the confidence you have wearing the clothing that makes all the difference. I love dresses and always will. But I have been hiding under them, being sad about not having a certain body and so on. But important people in my life helped me to just get to a point where enough is enough and I won't hide anymore or feel ashamed of my body.

Iconic styles are usually directly related to an iconic person. It's not just the clothing that that person made popular, but it's his/her attitude and character in the clothing that make the "style." So style isn't just about the clothes. The clothes tend to suggest and depict certain connotations and associations. I've never wanted to be defined by my clothing but by my personality and what I actually do. Style is not just appearance but is a person's confidence and personality. I always liked to think of what I wear as showing a different part of my personality and what part of me i am most confident in today. Lace dresses, graphic tees, bows, heels, and so on all have their own meaning and each gives off a whole different vibe to me. Every day it's like showing my mood through what I wear. It's it's own mood ring!

A little drawing I did a while back of a really different outfit I wore
Some people always wonder why I care so much about fashion, design and clothing. To me, what I wear really expresses me and is my way of just expressing my feelings and what I feel confident in. I'm a quiet person (unless you really know me!) and so this is how I communicate. And well my style has been evolving and changing lately, most of it having to do with fitness and an ever increasing amount of body confidence. So I have been getting away from uber girly looks, although I know I will have outfits that are beyond girly, but I feel myself going in a different direction, branching out and feeling confidence in trying new cuts, silhouettes, colors and so on and not being afraid to create a cohesive, appealing outfit. And not being afraid to create something i will look back on and think its completely horrendous! its a journey. So we will see where this style and body transformation takes me. Throughout this post are some outfit pictures of new styles and clothes I have been trying out. I hope you will all follow in my journey as well!
Pants: Forever21
Fitting into size 4 jeans! What?!
Broke my own rule that leggings aren't pants! Can you tell I feel awkward?
Lion King leggings: Delia's | Shoes: 6pm

I hope everyone is having a great holiday weekend and had a fantastic 4th of July celebrating our country's independence and remembering those who have gone on and continue to fight for our liberties.

6 comments:

  1. you're looking like an Urban Outfitters girl! :) i like their stuff. even though some of it is too "edgy" for me, i usually find something that i love...er, WANT. gotta love evolving styles - mine has DEFINITELY changed after living near/working in Portland. fun, Camille!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Good ol' urban outfitters. Get some good inspiration there! Thanks sis :)

      Delete
  2. You look sassy and awesome! I used to be a super tomboy, and eventually evolved to a weird mix of really fem and sometimes downright badass. It depends on my mood, but I dont think anyone should feel cornered into a single style. Clearly on you, multiple styles look great :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine! I totally get what you mean. I have that mix of super feminine and then much more edgy. Can't wait to see your blog posts!

      Delete
  3. I suppose you just want women to comment;but I have always been interested in artistic expression. Your fashion statements are like your art work a way for us all to get closer to understanding who you are.Please continue to express yourself. Remember it takes courage to create.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not just women, but thanks for the encouragement and support :)

      Delete

Comment and I'll give you a cookie! ...